Wednesday, October 8, 2008

You can call me "Senator"

When I went to Germanna I was invited to join the Honors society there called Phi Theta Kappa. And though I had to pay 60 bucks to get in, I figured it would perhaps be a good idea in the long run. And it was, because I got a $2,500 scholarship here at Union (guess that makes up for the fee, eh?). Pretty sweet deal too, because I wasn't really all that involved at PTK back in Virginia, considering the school was about 45 minutes away and not worth the trip out there (to me). I didn't even get to make it to the little induction ceremony because most of the events were on bad nights for me. So I managed to not have to participate very much at Germanna.

Well, the scholarship I got here at Union is through the Alumni chapter of PTK which is all good and well. And I didn't realize it was an active organization with participation until last week when they held a meeting. Which unfortunately I was unable to attend (mandatory art stuff). But that's ok, they voted me historian anyway...guess that shows me for not attending!! Actually, there's only about 6 of us and I know all of the people involved, except the president. So we're just now trying to get a feel for what we want this chapter to be and what we want to do with our organization. And one of the things we have to do is attend Senate meetings. Really just one person from each club/group/thingy has to attend to represent their group, and I went tonight with my friend Ally because no one else could make it. It was quite an experience, let me tell you: The Student Government Association SENATE. I had a lovely red paper that said PHI THETA KAPPA SENATOR on it (I'm a Senator...fabulous!) and got to participate in all the student governmently responsibilities, like passing votes -

ok, someone actually got up and wanted to pass (and succeeded in passing) a bill so boys could go shirtless during athletic practice to prevent fissure of the nipple. If you think I am joking, please know that I am actually dead serious. And THIS is one of the pictures they actually showed!!! I was dying I tell you, dying from laughter.

but overall, it was pretty fun. luckily I wasn't there alone, which always enhances any experience. and Senate seems like a pretty interesting way to keep up with what's going on on campus and see what all the different organizations are about that you can get involved in. so I am definitely down for going again...although I did have to stand up in front of everybody and tell them what PTK was all about because we were inducting it as a new organization. Was not informed of that when they told me to go to the meeting, but it's ok. Preparation for my impromptu speech in Public Comm I'll have to give in a couple weeks...or months if she keeps cancelling the class. I have no class tomorrow because they both got cancelled. How fabulous is that??

1 comment:

beckers said...

hello there Senator Marks! that sounds like an interesting day and i saw the pic for that weird shirt thing...not fully understanding what in the heck happened to him..but what ever...