Sunday, October 12, 2008

Listening to the still small voice

The Sunday School I visited today has been going through spiritual disciplines. Today's was the importance of silence and solitude. It was a really good topic, but especially what I felt I was needing to hear just then...

I've just been thinking about how at this stage of my life there are SO MANY different opportunities available to me, and while all of them may be good it's hard to know what I should do (or it's easy to feel overwhelmed by them all). And lately I've just been confronted with the fact that while I might have all these plans and hopes and dreams that perhaps God has something different for me. And on one hand, that's really scary. I'm very comfortable with my plans and I don't like the idea of facing the unknown. There are certain things that I really want to do, that I had counted on doing. And while the thought of not accomplishing them is hard for me to accept, I don't think I could stand the thought of continuing on my little path when God has something so much bigger and earth-shaking for me.

But it's still scary for me. Michele talked about the teachings of David Platt. And through his words, God is taking me out of my box and saying, "Kristen, meet the world. Look how small your plans are compared to mine. I'm inviting you to have a part in my big, beautiful plan of redemption. I've promised the fullness of My presence to those who obey My commands. You say you want to be desperate for My Spirit? The only way to be desperate for My Spirit is to give yourself radically to global missions. Don't just claim My privileges and leave the obligations for the "faithful few." You have to decide: Comfort or the cross. Settling for maintenance or sacrificing for missions. An indecisive mind or undivided heart. Are you going to sacrifice your "right" to making decisions and let Me have that power in your life? The real question is, is My glory worth it to you?"

So as I have been challenged and convicted and, to use Becky's words "slapped in the face" this message and being silent and listening to God is very timely. We were challenged to use the times that we often fill with noise and instead use them to be quiet before God. And as many of you know, I love music. Every single morning, I turn on my music as I'm getting ready for my day. I always play music when I'm driving. And though the music is usually praise and worship, and I enjoy the positive effect it has on my day in fixing my mind on Christ, it often just chalks up to more sounds of my day. So this week, though it's going to be very hard, I'm not going to turn on my music in the mornings to give myself time to be quiet before God. And I'm saying that here so I'll really do it. You are all free to ask me about it and keep me accountable. I'm going to use that time instead to put aside all my busy plans and questions and listen to God to hear where He is leading me.

And though I am foregoing music, there are two songs I want to leave you with.
The first one, Break My Plans, came to mind last night after a convicting conversation. And the second one, Voice of God, I thought of during this message on the still small voice. They're both by This Hope. I love those guys, and so I'm getting my fill of them today before my "fast" begins. I hope these songs bless you like they have blessed me.

"Break My Plans"




*this link will let you listen to the entire CD There is a Reason, where you can hear Voice of God

No comments: