Going to the courthouse – always an experience (see this post for more on that; you'll need to skip to "Thursday" cause it's kind of long). One time in one of the courtrooms someone was having “a disagreement with the bailiff” and they had to send security back. It was pretty cool
Office-wide lunchtime – a couple times we’d order Sam’s and all eat together in the conference room. Jonathon even joined us one time. It’s a nice time of “yes, you may relax now” before it’s back to work, or as Mr. Goodall would say, “Let’s go sue some people!”
The daily Jonathon Burke calls – okay, not daily, but a couple times a week. It’s so fun to answer the phone and hear a familiar voice on the other end. When Jonathon says he calls about the most ridiculous things, he really does call about the most ridiculous things. But hey, it breaks up the monotony of the day and I always appreciate a few laughs

Snacks – When the other office assistant (“paralegal” technically) is married to a distributor for Pepperidge Farm, that means THE BEST snacks, all for the very low price of take what you want :)
Bring your doggie to work day – I must have missed the memo on this one, but sometimes Mr. Goodall would bring in his adorable toy poodle, Bell (usually because Mrs. Goodall was out of town). She should really be named Shadow because she follows him everywhere! We caught her whining in the hall one time because she couldn’t follow Mr. Goodall into the bathroom. Silly Bell!
Bring your kid to work day – unfortunately, this only happened if the child was sick. But while waiting to go to their doctor’s appointment, I got to play with Amanda’s son Nathan. Luckily he has a fascination with cars, and even more luckily, there is always traffic on Courthouse.

Watering the flowers – thankfully I never had to lime the grass again (ah, the infamous bad days post) but Mr. Goodall did have me water the flower beds at the entrance. That’s definitely more doable. So every couple of days I’d get to take a little break outside in the sun and I’d walk back and forth with my little watering can between the building and the flowers, since it takes a couple of trips to water them all. And I’d just think and reflect, or sometimes I would hum or sing to myself if no one was around (because that wouldn’t look weird at all…)
Mail mishaps – these unfortunately happened to me way more often than they should have. We send a lot of mail at the office, and I had to learn not to seal any of the envelopes until the end of the day in case I needed to add anything to them. A couple of times I had to open up the envelopes and print out all new ones. Well, one day I was sending about 20 pages to the court in Spotsy and copies to 3 other people. Did you know you can stuff about 25 pages into a regular sized envelope? Yup, it’s definitely possible. So I had stuffed them and they were so full I knew we wouldn’t be able to fit anything more in them, so I sealed them up because they were busting open. I even put stamps on them. Now, we have a special machine that prints the stamp right onto the envelope, like the big red one businesses use. If an envelope is too full, we just print the stamp onto a label and stick it on. So I had to do that for these. After I had cleared off my desk, I realized that I was missing a different letter I was supposed to send, it was only about 3 pages. I looked everywhere for it, I couldn’t think of where it could have gone, and then I looked in horror at the 4 plump envelopes sitting on my desk. Somewhere inside one of those envelopes was most likely my missing letter. I REALLY didn’t want to open them, so I just sort of looked at them for a while, and held them up to the light, turning them over and over (which accomplished nothing, in case you were wondering). I couldn’t decide which letter it could have gotten into, so I opened the one to the other attorney, and it wasn’t in there. The envelope I definitely didn’t want to open was the one to the clerk, because it had an extra letter and a return envelope to send it back in. But since it was the last one I stuffed, I knew it had to be in there. Sure enough, there it was. I felt like Charlie finding his Golden Ticket to the Chocolate Factory. The nice thing was that I was able to peel off the stamp labels and reuse them, so I only had to print new envelopes. But needless to say, I felt very dumb that day!
Overall, it has been a great experience working here. I’ve enjoyed being able to work with Jason– thanks so much for helping keep me gainfully employed!! I find it so interesting the things that law offices do, and I’ve enjoyed being a (small) part of it. I don’t really feel like I’m “playing work” anymore, and I definitely appreciate all those 9-5ers now! Working full-time during the summer is hard, but the experience was very rewarding and if they would want me, I’d be very happy to come back to Goodall & Pelt in the future.
Office-wide lunchtime – a couple times we’d order Sam’s and all eat together in the conference room. Jonathon even joined us one time. It’s a nice time of “yes, you may relax now” before it’s back to work, or as Mr. Goodall would say, “Let’s go sue some people!”
The daily Jonathon Burke calls – okay, not daily, but a couple times a week. It’s so fun to answer the phone and hear a familiar voice on the other end. When Jonathon says he calls about the most ridiculous things, he really does call about the most ridiculous things. But hey, it breaks up the monotony of the day and I always appreciate a few laughs

Snacks – When the other office assistant (“paralegal” technically) is married to a distributor for Pepperidge Farm, that means THE BEST snacks, all for the very low price of take what you want :)
Bring your doggie to work day – I must have missed the memo on this one, but sometimes Mr. Goodall would bring in his adorable toy poodle, Bell (usually because Mrs. Goodall was out of town). She should really be named Shadow because she follows him everywhere! We caught her whining in the hall one time because she couldn’t follow Mr. Goodall into the bathroom. Silly Bell!
Bring your kid to work day – unfortunately, this only happened if the child was sick. But while waiting to go to their doctor’s appointment, I got to play with Amanda’s son Nathan. Luckily he has a fascination with cars, and even more luckily, there is always traffic on Courthouse.

Watering the flowers – thankfully I never had to lime the grass again (ah, the infamous bad days post) but Mr. Goodall did have me water the flower beds at the entrance. That’s definitely more doable. So every couple of days I’d get to take a little break outside in the sun and I’d walk back and forth with my little watering can between the building and the flowers, since it takes a couple of trips to water them all. And I’d just think and reflect, or sometimes I would hum or sing to myself if no one was around (because that wouldn’t look weird at all…)
Mail mishaps – these unfortunately happened to me way more often than they should have. We send a lot of mail at the office, and I had to learn not to seal any of the envelopes until the end of the day in case I needed to add anything to them. A couple of times I had to open up the envelopes and print out all new ones. Well, one day I was sending about 20 pages to the court in Spotsy and copies to 3 other people. Did you know you can stuff about 25 pages into a regular sized envelope? Yup, it’s definitely possible. So I had stuffed them and they were so full I knew we wouldn’t be able to fit anything more in them, so I sealed them up because they were busting open. I even put stamps on them. Now, we have a special machine that prints the stamp right onto the envelope, like the big red one businesses use. If an envelope is too full, we just print the stamp onto a label and stick it on. So I had to do that for these. After I had cleared off my desk, I realized that I was missing a different letter I was supposed to send, it was only about 3 pages. I looked everywhere for it, I couldn’t think of where it could have gone, and then I looked in horror at the 4 plump envelopes sitting on my desk. Somewhere inside one of those envelopes was most likely my missing letter. I REALLY didn’t want to open them, so I just sort of looked at them for a while, and held them up to the light, turning them over and over (which accomplished nothing, in case you were wondering). I couldn’t decide which letter it could have gotten into, so I opened the one to the other attorney, and it wasn’t in there. The envelope I definitely didn’t want to open was the one to the clerk, because it had an extra letter and a return envelope to send it back in. But since it was the last one I stuffed, I knew it had to be in there. Sure enough, there it was. I felt like Charlie finding his Golden Ticket to the Chocolate Factory. The nice thing was that I was able to peel off the stamp labels and reuse them, so I only had to print new envelopes. But needless to say, I felt very dumb that day!
Overall, it has been a great experience working here. I’ve enjoyed being able to work with Jason– thanks so much for helping keep me gainfully employed!! I find it so interesting the things that law offices do, and I’ve enjoyed being a (small) part of it. I don’t really feel like I’m “playing work” anymore, and I definitely appreciate all those 9-5ers now! Working full-time during the summer is hard, but the experience was very rewarding and if they would want me, I’d be very happy to come back to Goodall & Pelt in the future.
Now, on to my next adventure: SCHOOL!

3 comments:
unrelated comment:
i can't believe i forgot to give you your movie back last nighttttt! we watched it on wednesday...it was really beautiful...musically and artistically...but it was also SAD...the music was uhhhh-mAAAAAA-zing...seriously...take my breath away...i liked it a lot :)
if you want it back sooner, i can bring it to bible study and give it to someone who sees you more often...but otherwise i can give it back the 28th...
oooo what movie is it?
It was a pleasure having you at the office.
Post a Comment