Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I freaking love the Olympics!!

I forgot how much fun the Olympics can be. It's so nastalgic for me in a way, because I remember the Athens summer games when I was a sophomore at Grace Prep and following Michael Phelps and the Hamm brothers - probably the only time I read the sports section of the paper. Michele probably still has a bunch of old newspaper clippings under her bed from the girls gymanstics. Well anyway, since the opening question from Sunday School (what sport would you compete in for the Beijing Olympics), I became curious as to what all the sports actually were. Check out this list (and the funny little stick figures!)

ArcheryBadmintonBaseball BasketballBeach volleyballBoxing Canoe/kayak CyclingDivingEquestrianFencingField hockey GymnasticsHandballJudoModern pentathlonRhythmic gymnasticsRowingSailingShootingSoccer SoftballSwimmingSynchronized swimmingTable tennisTaekwondoTennisTrack and fieldTrampolineTriathlonVolleyballWater poloWeightliftingWrestling


Handball seems like Ultimate Frisbee with a ball because you can't run with it, you have to pass.

Tim Long was telling me it's like racquetball with your hands, which seemed unlikely. You never can tell with Tim...we were at his house yesterday for Pillar Youth Group and we were watching the Olympics with them afterwards, and he had Michele convinced for a moment that the middle lanes of the pool were better because they were shorter...

The Modern Pentathlon consists of:
1. Shooting: Air pistol (20 shots)
2. Fencing: Epee (35 bouts)
3. Swimming: 200m freestyle
4. Equestrian: Show jumping (15 jumps)
5. Running: 3000m (1.82 miles) cross-country)

The Triathlon is of course swimming, cycling and running, and Water Polo apparently is soccer in a pool, with your hands of course. It'd be a little hard to kick a ball while you're swimming ;)

I love the Olympics.  It's sort of an athletic release for me, since I am not athletic at all...and I've since decided that if Origami were a sport, I would definitely have a medal :)    
hooray for the Olympics!  I definitely need to go - London 2012 Games anyone?  ;D

             

5 comments:

Josh and Jadey said...

I agree... I love the Olympics. I remember watching them as a child in middle school, those were the days of the "Dream Team". Whoa, I am getting old.. Josh and I watched them last night at my aunts house, it was good times. Womens beach volleyball, mens synchronized diving and some swimming semi final events. I am totally up for London 2012!!!

Brittany said...

ill be there.
in it.
hahaa just kidding, i wish!

Kevin said...

If you guys haven't heard, after Cierra attended the International Gymnastics Camp in July, she's decided to "come out of retirement" and reenter the sport. She's now at her gym's camp in West Virginia looking to achieve the next competition level. Who knows, 4 years from now in London you may have someone to root for! Cierra's still saying she wants to go to the Olympics. London may be too early, though.

Kristen said...

how old is she? they've got some pretty young people in the games this year. although i think i heard technically you have to be 16 for gymnastics...that would be so awesome though!!

Kevin said...

she's 11 right now, and age-wise she would be able to compete as long as you turn 16 in the year of the competition, however, talent-wise, she has some progress to make up if she's to make it for London. 8 years is more like it, but we'll see.