Today at work I was given an unconventional task that I, quite frankly, was not thrilled to complete. I might have managed okay except for some stupidity on my part (I had to spread lime on the grass and I forgot my tennis shoes at home). This turned the otherwise menial task into a very frustrating and laborious one. Unfortunately for me, I tend to stew over things and get more irritated over them than I should. As I walked back and forth again and again in the hot sun in my uncomfortable footwear, I thought about how my day had suddenly turned into a very crappy one and how I wished there was some way out of this situation, although I knew there wasn't. Then I was suddenly struck by this thought: Where is the glory of God in awful days? And how can I find it?
And I'm not talking about the kind of bad days where things go wrong and you say, "God why is this happening to me?" like the Joseph story and God working things all out for good, even when we don't understand why.
Because I know that's still true! But it's not, "why is this happening to me?" What I was asking was:
How can this day, this awful day that I just want to end because I don't think I can take one more minute, how can God be glorified in that?
And I pondered.
I was reminded of a song (because for me, everything reminds me of a song) by Shane and Shane called "Bad Days Better" which I love, but it actually didn't really seem to fit at the time. Then I looked up the words and look at what the first verse says:
You have made my day
Even in stormy weather
I’m dancing in all the rain
Cause you make bad days…
Because you make bad days
But I still didn't know how to reconcile myself to the thought. I don't know if this ever happens to any of you, but for me a lot of times I have the mental understanding of a concept, such as the fact that God does indeed ordain my days, even the bad ones, but I have a hard time making the connection in my heart and believing it and feeling it resonate within myself, grabbing onto that concept as truth. It takes time, and sometimes it also takes experience. I can't fully grasp a concept such as being in an awful, God-save-me situation until I've actually experienced it and seen God's goodness firsthand.
So, I knew despite my grumpy attitude that God must be glorified in my situation, although I still couldn't see how.
I was inside cleaning up and though I had been wearing socks, I discovered that my feet were absolutely filthy. Gross, I know, but there's a point if you'll stick with me here. So as I was washing off my feet, I was suddenly reminded of another time when some people had dirty feet and their Master washed them.
And I thought:
Ok, if I was outside for maybe an hour walking in the grass getting lime and dust on me and I'm this dirty, how much more filthy must the disciples' feet have been walking all day on those dusty, dirty roads? And Jesus got down on his hands and knees to lovingly wash away every last piece of crud and muck on their feet and in between their toes - this is not the Quick-Wash here, Jesus is giving a full service foot cleaning - and he did it to show them how much he loved them, but also to show us how we ought to love one another!
Ok, if I was outside for maybe an hour walking in the grass getting lime and dust on me and I'm this dirty, how much more filthy must the disciples' feet have been walking all day on those dusty, dirty roads? And Jesus got down on his hands and knees to lovingly wash away every last piece of crud and muck on their feet and in between their toes - this is not the Quick-Wash here, Jesus is giving a full service foot cleaning - and he did it to show them how much he loved them, but also to show us how we ought to love one another!
And then it was like *DING* You got it Kristen.
Maybe that's what my bad day was for. Could it be that that is how we find the glory of God in our cruddy moments? God reveals his glory in incredible ways, and sometimes in some unconventional ways as well. Perhaps instead of being my usual grumbling, griping, selfish self, if I tried to focus more on those moments of God, those moments where I'm reminded of how small and unworthy I am and how great and awesome HE IS then I would be able to see the glory of God more often. Just because I'm too wrapped up in myself doesn't mean it's not there. I'm so thankful that God takes the time with me to remove me from my silly, petty ways and give me a glimpse of himself to remind me that it's not about me. It's all about HIM. And if he chooses to glorify and magnify his name through the midst of my bad day, then I say, thank you Lord for your faithfulness to this weak vessel, and help me to recognize your hand in my life.
Bad days are coming
Rainy days are always around
But if I can see you
One glance upon you
The sun comes out
I’m dancing in all the rain
Cause you make bad days better
3 comments:
You've certainly expounded on that song for me, making it deeper than what it is at surface level, making me see through your experience.
good word.
haha. to bad girls cant be pastors.. :)
haha. good thing i don't want to be a pastor. speaking in front of people is not really my thing, but sharing something i've learned through an experience...that i can handle
normally you're the one sharing things you've learned from (Shane and Shane) songs, so i'm glad i could return the favor - nothing like the depths you blog of course, but i do what i can :)
I'm glad I had a small part to play in your enlightenment.
Post a Comment