Friday, June 13, 2008

Good morning Baltimore?

So you all know that I am working for Tim Kelly and Woodwright Co. A couple weeks ago he contacted me about an industry trade show in Baltimore that he and his family would be attending; he wanted me to come along and look at the software, design, and idea booths to get an idea of what I'd be working with and also to see how we can expand his business. So of course I think this is a great idea, I can walk around and see what exactly the professional arena of design looks like, since I don't have a lot of real work experience in that area. The show we'd be walking around is the sign business and digital graphics show, and I'd get to see all the other business' booths and products.

So then it turns out that there are a bunch of seminars at this conference, and Mr. Kelly thought it'd be good for me to take them too. The only thing is, he and his family are driving up Thursday and my classes start Wednesday, so I am going to have to drive to Baltimore by myself, find this conference place, check myself in and find where my classes are by myself.

Luckily I won't have to stay in a hotel because we have some friends in Fort Meade, which is about half an hour away from the conference center. We knew them when we lived in Texas, and actually I've been talking with the daughter Megan about getting together so I guess that kind of worked out well. So hopefully the plan is that I will drive up Wednesday morning, take the first half of my classes, then drive back to stay with my friends. Then I'll probably meet up sometime with the Kelly's on Thursday and finish up my classes, and then see the trade show on Friday. And actually I think my family is planning on coming up Friday so they can visit with our friends too, and my dad wants to walk the trade show with me. These are the classes I'm taking:

Intro to CorelDRAW, Part 1 and 2 (the software Mr. Kelly uses - this actually might be helpful Colby for getting all those t-shirts made up if this is what Firehouse Embroidery uses)
Are You New to Digital Printing? Start Here First (new doesn't even begin to describe it!!)
Special Effects Printing for High-Density, Discharge, Glitter, Foil, Mixed-Media and More!
Custom Design Techniques for All Designers: Proven Design Principles that Make and Save you Money, Part 1 and 2

I'm a little apprehensive about it all because I have to do all the planning myself, but luckily I happen to love planning, so I just have to make sure I gather all the details together and know what it is I'm doing. I kind of keep thinking that my dad is going to tell me what to do, because he's the trip planner but then I remember that it's all up to me. But I have my directions all printed out, and my class schedule, and my registration form. So now I just have to figure out what to do while I'm there. I'll have a lot of free time in the mornings and evenings because the classes are almost all from 11-3, so I can spend some time visiting with my friends and maybe touring Baltimore a bit.

So, Wednesday if you happen to think of me, pray that I make it to Baltimore in one piece! I also have a feeling that this will cost quite a bit of money from parking to food to unforseen fees. So many things to think of! So just pray that everything goes smoothly..it'll really be only Wednesday that I'm by myself, once I meet up with the Kelly's I should be fine :)

No comments: