Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 11, 12, 13, 14 \\ Weekend 2

We had a long weekend because on Friday we took a field trip to Nashville! Yippee! It was quite an adventure, one which I will save for another post. For right now, here are the weekend's assignments:

Assignments: Food. Stranger. A product. What you are looking forward to.



Food \\ Some of you may know that I am quite obsessed with food photography. I follow Cannelle et Vanille; love magazines like Real Simple and Martha Stewart's Living Magazine; I have also heard The Pioneer Woman is quite good. I love looking at food, I love making food and let's be honest here - I just love eating food. And in the spirit of honesty, while the food so far here at school does make me wonder why we must eat to survive because I certainly don't have a taste for most of what they provide (it'll pick up when the spring semester starts I suspect) it does give one opportunity to make your own food. I've been stocking my fridge with some fruits and veggies for whenever snacking urges overtake me. Anyone who knows me knows that apples are a special favorite and a necessity in my kitchen. I'm especially loving Granny Smith apples these days, sliced very thin and tossed in a bag for a tart snack on the go. Delish!



Product \\ Product photography has such a wide range that I almost couldn't decide where to start. But, inspired by my food shoot and by the new wooden spoons I bought (I mean really, you can't cook with plastic spoons and I can't conceive where all my other utensils have run off to. Ah, the curse of college), I instead took a Real Simple/Martha Stewart feel by creating a little baking scene. This photo wants to say, "Buy our utensils and you too can cook like Martha Stewart!"



Stranger \\ My stranger is one Mr. Van Flesher, a cinematography professor at Watkins College of Art, Design and Film in Nashville. Our field trip was partly to visit him and take a tour of his school, program, and meet a student of his who is creating a feature length film for his graduating project. Here he is, showing us around one of the sets. It was very interesting to see that side of art as well as take a tour of their facilities. Art school is a very exciting place! Perhaps more thoughts on that later too...



What I'm looking forward to: And lastly, I am looking forward to my GO trip to Guatemala very much. I still can't quite believe I'm going. I'll probably still be pinching myself on the plane!! March 19-26, right before my 21st birthday. To explain the photo, this is taken on a map my friend painted (in between the wreath making and fort building of course). I drew that little picture and placed it next to the postcard with the Guatemalan flag I was given during my GO trip reveal - to explain: we apply for several GO trips without knowing which trip we will ultimately go on. our wonderful staff in Campus Ministries prayerfully evaluate where each applicant should GO and their destination is revealed in one big event in the fall. we were given envelopes with the flag of our country inside indicating our trip.

No comments: