Tuesday, March 9, 2010

SWJPC

The Southwestern Photojournalism Conference! Oh yes. I went. and it was awesome.

The conference was this past weekend (Friday through Sunday) at Southwestern Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas. and yes, we had to drive. the whole way. also i would like to say that *i* drove the whole 9+ hours there, and back again, all by myself. power to meeeeee :)

About 20 other students from Union went as well as our photography and photojournalism professors. The conference had 6 speakers, all photographers from crazy different walks of life but all joined by the fact that their work is MIND-BLOWINGLY INCREDIBLE.

Please. Look. At. These.
Esther Havens
humanitarian photojournalist


Dave Black
Olympic photographer for 40 years, sports portrait photographer and lightpainter


Garrett Hubbard
Video and photojournalist for USA Today


Keith Ladzinski
Rock climbing and extreme sports photographer (and portraits)


Gary and Vivian Chapman
Married couple; Gary is a former stock photographer and current humanitarian photojournalist

I'm just going to include some quotes from these speakers over the week and let you hear their hearts for yourself.

-"I'm going to put my camera down, or I'm going to change." On talking about searching for the quintessential "African suffering" photo and feeling successful when she shot it

-"People are people. People have hearts and they're more important than a photo." On the importance of praying and choosing to put down her camera

-
"The reality is, I love what I do, but it's not easy"

Mother Theresa: "Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty"

-"The more you shoot sports, the slower it becomes."

-"There are no photo prodigies."

-Taking the simplest part of a sport and making it beautiful (like dribbling a basketball)

-"I must be brave enough to get close enough"

-"Make a picture that other people aren't making"

-"I want to tell stories close to God's heart"

-"Ask yourself: What do you want to do with your work and why?"

-"Passion comes and goes; it will ebb and flow like the tide, but your purpose keeps you going forward"

-"Passion without purpose is dead"

-"If you ever pass by something and you stop to look twice - go back"

-"Success is impact. Success is showing love. Success is giving grace. Success is sharing the gospel of Christ. Success is persevering with purpose to see my dreams come to completion."

-"Perseverance lasts only as long as our purpose is clear"

-"Photojournalism is about caring about people"

-quoting someone else: "Don't ask what the world needs. Find what makes you come alive and do that"

-"To know a good story, you've got to live it"

-
"When you don't anticipate and act on change, you will become paralyzed with fear"

-"We choose to praise God before the Red Sea parts"

-"When you come to a place where you face change ask yourself, why are you a photographer? What's your biggest motivator? The meaning it has? The access it gives you? The image you can capture, that decisive moment?"

-A persecuted Pakistani believer: "Today brings pain. Tomorrow we will joy"

-John Piper: "You weren't made to be somebody. You were made to know somebody"

-"Comparing yourself is a sure road to depression and paralyzation"

-"I am totally convinced that God loves me when I do wrong things"

-"We rejoice on this side of the Red Sea"

Also, check out this credo by Gary Chapman to see his beliefs and encouragement when approaching photography.

This is how I summed up the week:

a weekend of seeing the gospel through photography. beautiful weather following me home. sharing hearts, laughter and coffee breaks. lots to do this week but the truth remains: God is good. God is good. God is GOOD

1 comment:

beckers said...

love the quotes, glad you had fun and made it there and back safe!