Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The wonders of a brand new day

Today was really crazy, but it was such a gift.

Recently, it's been on my mind the craziness of our lives, and how scattered everywhere we are. You'd think we could just stay put, but we're all going all over the country (and world) for school and missions work and just normal work...well. Anyway. Even though new roads are being taken by many, and we're not sure where they'll take us yet, we know the One who lays our paths before us. That is comforting indeed.

In chapel today, one of our Christian Studies professors talked about how the Word of God transforms us, and how simple words can very literally change our destinies. It's all about choosing words of life, and not empty words. But the words are right there, for the hearing, if we just listen to them...

Well. My M/W/F classes are just phenomenal. Graphic Design, Photography, Sign Language. To break it down for you...
1. Graphic Design teacher = amazing. She is a great teacher; she makes things interesting and easy to understand, and even though it is an 8:00 class I am eager to learn and (sometimes) even discuss, and our classes always go so well. It is a very enjoyable atmosphere. Oh, also, we got all new Macs in the lab. Beautiful.
2. Photography. aaaaahhh. This is probably my #1 scary class in that it is the great Fear of the Unknown -- The Darkroom. Also, the world of developing your own film. But, today we started off nice and slow by making prints and developing them without a camera. It's called a photograph; I encourage you to just google them and take a look at the amazing things you can do with it. Basically, you can create a negative image by placing objects on light sensitive paper (blocking those areas from receiving light) then shine a light on it, and develop it as normal photos and voila! You have a photogram. I absolutely *loved* the process of it, except this is a perfect medium for my perfectionist side to RAGE so I must control that. It's so easy to redevelop a print over and over to tweak a little thing - lighten the image, make it clearer, change the composition...anyway, i can't let it take over my life. I spent roughly 2 hours on only 4 prints, so you see where this could lead. but, the important thing is I conquered my trepidation for this assignment and feel much more confident and relaxed about photography assignments to come! yay!!
3. Sign Language. Man, this class is so interesting and fun! Some days are a little rough because it gets hard for me to follow. The teacher is deaf and there is absolutely no talking, sign language only. I don't have a book yet either which makes it difficult to follow along or practice at home, but I love having my roommate in there with me though. We have a lot of laughs in that class. I'm hoping to really retain a lot of this language after the class is done. And there's a Deaf Banquet for Deaf Awareness Week, so perhaps we will go and get some real practice. Better brush up on my signs first though!

My other classes are also going great. I feel so lucky to be thoroughly enjoying all my classes. Golf was great; we finally went to the course and practiced. Plus the weather was beyooootiful so all in all, i'm having a very enjoyable class load. we'll see how crazy things get though in the weeks to come...with the 4 day weekend and nowhere to go, i think we've got some fun crazy activities planned with our RA. She luckily is a tie-dye fan, so i'm seeing a lot of that in our future...yay :)

Fun adventures for tomorrow: $1 baseball game at the local field! Now that's a price I can live with. Stay tuned...

No comments: