Sunday, April 3, 2011

GO Guatemala // A simple journey uncovers eternal joy

Well hello friends!
I have successfully gone almost a month without posting. Now that I have won the slacker award, it's back to some blogs for you.

CariƱos, I have been to Guatemala. The trip I had been praying about embarking on, delighted to be accepted to go on and earnestly desired your prayers and support to get me there. Friends, we did it and most of all God did it, and a week ago I left at oh-so-early 2 a.m. with my team for a week in Guatemala! We were remarkably chipper for that early hour. By why shouldn't we be, when GUATEMALA awaited us??

My dear teammates Tabitha, Christina and Jordan at the Memphis airport, tickets to Guatemala City in hand!

Friends, it was better than I could have ever imagined. I'm going to take the next few posts to show you some photos from the trip and share some of the stories of what God did there and how He changed our hearts.

But first, for today, let's glory in the beauty of His creation in Guatemala!


Brilliantly colored buildings line the gorgeous cobblestone streets of Antigua with the breathtaking view of the volcano always in sight

The streets of Antigua bustle with the traffic of motorcycles, cars, bikes and pedestrians as these workers break from their road repair

A traditional Guatemalan woman, possibly Mayan, balances a basket on her head as she rests on the narrow sidewalks filled with vendors, beggars, shop owners and tourists in Antigua

The beauty of Antigua rests in its rugged historic structures surrounded by the vibrant color of nearby buildings

Our team enjoyed a breathtaking view of Antigua from the luscious rooftop garden of a Guatemalan restaurant (we also enjoyed some delicious traditional food!)

The intense hue of this yellow monastery is almost covered by the intricate ornamentation of Catholic church figures. Our team enjoyed exploring this building and taking team photos (to come later!)

No comments: