Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Inspiration

So like a good little artist, I've been looking at images of other people's work to be inspired for my own. It's a fun technique to do and highly encouraged by all the professors. Plus, you can stumble upon some fantastic things!

There is a mini photo retreat we'll be taking in November and my teacher was freaking out because these two very amazing and talented photographers were actually going to be there. And since I was completely not awe-stricken since I had no clue who they were, I decided it would be good to remedy this, so then when I meet them in person I can give them the jaw-dropping and drooling they deserve. Well, maybe not the drooling. But definitely the awe.

Their names are Jeremy Cowart and David Bean. And I really was blown away when I got around to researching them. Jeremy Cowart shoots all kinds of famous people, from Chris Rice and Derek Webb to Sting and Imogen Heap. He's also got this cool new organization beginning called Help-Portrait: Don't Take Pictures. GIVE them. It's basically about taking portraits for those who can't afford them, and he's enlisting the help of a bunch of other big-name photographers, and anyone else who wants to help really. It's very exciting.

As for David Bean, haven't quite finished researching him and his work yet, but I ran across this and couldn't keep it to myself. It is very essentially, me.


I am excited to meet these people and hear more about their work firsthand. But in the meantime, better get working on my own photography. These pictures won't shoot themselves...

1 comment:

garmancj@comcast.net said...

Jeremy Cowart´s work is ridiculously good. I was looking at it a couple of weeks ago.